1 min read

Death Cap Mushrooms emit a fish-like odor as they decay, making them particularly tempting to dogs and their noses. If your dog is the type to roll around in stinky stuff or gutter-dive for tasty trash, they may be at risk. 

If you know or suspect that your dog has eaten wild mushrooms, this should be regarded as an emergency, even if your dog is not displaying any symptoms of sickness at first. You should contact your vet immediately, and if possible, try to get a sample of the mushrooms that you know or suspect your dog ate to aid with diagnosis. Your vet may wish to induce vomiting to remove any undigested mushrooms in the stomach and possibly take a sample for analysis, and will also likely run some blood and urine tests to detect the presence of toxins within the system. 

Your vet may administer activated charcoal to your dog if inducing vomiting is not viable, to bind any remaining toxic matter in the stomach and neutralise its potential to cause further harm. 

Careful monitoring is needed to pre-empt the onset of liver or kidney problems, and deal with any other issues such as seizures or fits. Fluid therapy may also be required in order to flush the toxins out of the system, and in extreme cases where the liver or kidneys are affected, dialysis or even a blood transfusion may be required. 

If diagnosis is made quickly and treatment is sought promptly, the prognosis for dogs who have consumed toxic mushrooms is usually good. However, many other factors can affect this, including the quantity of mushrooms consumed and how toxic they were, as well as the overall health and condition of the affected dog. 

Because liver and kidney problems may not present themselves for a couple of days after ingestion, careful inpatient monitoring is required to evaluate the condition of the liver and kidneys and react accordingly. As the toxic compounds of mushrooms do not remain in the body for very long, encouraging the body systems to flush themselves by means of administering fluids and encouraging urination can make a big difference towards the impact of ingestion upon your dog. 

Don’t wait around if you suspect your dog has ingested wild mushrooms or is showing any of the symptoms described above. Acting quickly can mean the difference between life and death for your dog, so always be alert and ready to act if needed.

* The email will not be published on the website.